Hi, I'm sizing a VDI HCI environment for a university teaching laboratory.  These are 65 stations which will have to perform an office profile, Word Excel and internet browsing in general.  There may be a need for all clients to watch a video on YouTube or similar platform.  I was thinking of putting 4 xeon platinum sockets with 28 cores each. Do you think this would be enough or is it better to include the 3D license? In this case I will install the 16GB RTX Quadro A4000 in each node.  Thank you

By solving this question, you may help 226 user(s).

Posting a reply earns you 2 coins. An accepted reply earns you 20 coins and another 10 coins for replying within 10 minutes. (Expired) What is Coin?

Enter your mobile phone number and company name for better service. Go

Newbie517762 Lv5Posted 28 Nov 2023 10:59

HiHi,

I recommend contacting your local Sangfor representative for assistance in order to save you time.
mdamores Lv3Posted 28 Nov 2023 12:57

Hi,

The scenario is quite complex. It is best to consult or contact Sangfor SE or representative for immediate assistance or to help you proper in terms of proper sizing based on your requirement.
ArsalanAli Lv3Posted 28 Nov 2023 16:10

4 xeon platinum sockets with 28 cores are more than enough
and not necessary to install 3D license  
Imran Tahir Lv4Posted 28 Nov 2023 17:09

get help with sangfor team they perfessional in their work
Enrico Vanzetto Lv3Posted 28 Nov 2023 17:33

hi, based on your scenario, if you need video acceleration (as your vdi clients have to watch videos) for a better experience you have to include 3d license. You have to include also nvidia fees on your licenses to buy if you plan to assign some video graphics ram on every vdi client. Otherwise your graphic card is dedicated on a single vdi session.
jerome_itable Lv2Posted 29 Nov 2023 08:06

For a university teaching laboratory with 65 stations that will be used for office tasks, internet browsing, and occasional video playback, 4 Xeon Platinum sockets with 28 cores each would be sufficient. The 3D license would not be necessary for this type of workload.

Here is a breakdown of the CPU requirements for each task:

Office tasks: Office tasks such as Word and Excel are not very CPU-intensive. A single core of a Xeon Platinum socket would be sufficient for these tasks.
    Internet browsing: Internet browsing can be more CPU-intensive, but the average user will not be using multiple tabs or streaming videos while browsing. Two cores of a Xeon Platinum socket would be sufficient for most internet browsing tasks.
    Video playback: Video playback can be very CPU-intensive, especially if the videos are high-resolution. However, the average user will not be watching videos all day long. Four cores of a Xeon Platinum socket would be sufficient for occasional video playback.

Based on these requirements, 4 Xeon Platinum sockets with 28 cores each would be more than enough for the university teaching laboratory. The extra cores would provide headroom for future growth and for more demanding tasks that may be needed in the future.

The 3D license is for applications that require very high CPU performance, such as 3D rendering and scientific computing. These types of applications are not typically used in university teaching laboratories.

Therefore, I would recommend that you do not include the 3D license. This will save you money and will not impact the performance of the VDI HCI environment.
noime Lv3Posted 29 Nov 2023 16:56

This is quite hard, you must contact Sangfor Tech Support Team.
LucyHeart Lv3Posted 29 Nov 2023 16:58

General internet browsing is also not highly resource-demanding. However, the number of tabs open simultaneously and the complexity of web applications can impact performance.
RegiBoy Lv5Posted 29 Nov 2023 16:59

I strongly suggest that you must list all your requirements and then contact the Sangfor VDI Support Team for faster resolving your issues.

I Can Help:

Change

Board Leaders