Standalone connect 2 AP on 2 interface

Newbie634913 Lv1Posted 22 Aug 2023 09:20

Last edited by Newbie634913 22 Aug 2023 09:23.

Hi All

I am not sure is it possible to do that I would like to connect 2 AP on 2 interface if not use addtional switch for connect 2 AP in 1 interface.

X4 and X5 assgin DMZ as same zone and share same DHCP pool, such as both share use 192.168.0.0/24.

As I know there are function call "Aggregate Interface", but this is for load balancing or failover, seems like not suitable on this situation.

CptArmando has solved this question and earned 10 coins.

Posting a reply earns you 2 coins. An accepted reply earns you 20 coins and another 10 coins for replying within 10 minutes. (Expired) What is Coin?

Enter your mobile phone number and company name for better service. Go

If you use a switch for this, it will be simpler.

Alternately, you may setup a vlan and trunk the ports x4 and x5, allowing both ports to use the same DHCP pool and have the same zone.

Because it wouldn't offer isolation between them, an aggregate interface is not suited for connecting two devices in the same zone.
Is this answer helpful?
CLELUQMAN Lv3Posted 24 Aug 2023 09:22

it is easier if u use a switch for this.

or u can configure vlan and trunk the port x4 and x5 , then both port can have same zone and share same DHCP pool.

Aggregate Interface not suitable for connecting two devices in the same zone as it would not provide isolation between them,
RegiBoy Lv5Posted 28 Aug 2023 11:42

What is your question by the way? The topology or design is normal
VanFlyheights Lv3Posted 28 Aug 2023 11:43

"Aggregate Interface" or link aggregation is generally used for load balancing or failover, it might not be suitable for your situation where you want the two APs to share the same IP range and behave as if they're connected to the same interface.
NeTSec Lv3Posted 28 Aug 2023 11:43

In a typical networking scenario, you might need a layer 2 or layer 3 switch to achieve this setup without directly connecting both APs to the same interface on your device.
Naomi Lv3Posted 28 Aug 2023 11:44

Connecting multiple devices to a single interface without a switch in between can lead to issues like IP conflicts and packet collisions, as the device's interface would expect a single MAC address to communicate with.
MISMIS Lv3Posted 28 Aug 2023 11:44

If you want to keep both APs separate but have them function as if they're on the same network, you could consider setting up VLANs. Assign different VLAN IDs to the two APs and configure your device's interfaces to work with these VLANs. This way, even though the APs are connected to different interfaces, they can still communicate with each other within the same VLAN and share the same IP range.
Noah19 Lv3Posted 28 Aug 2023 11:45

If I understand your question correctly, you're looking to connect two access points (APs) to two different interfaces on a device, but have them both assigned to the same DMZ zone and share the same DHCP pool. Essentially, you want to create a configuration where these two APs act as if they are connected to a single interface.

BitCloud Lv3Posted 28 Aug 2023 11:45

Here's a simplified example of what the setup might look like:

Interface X4: Assigned to VLAN 10
Interface X5: Assigned to VLAN 10
Both APs connect to their respective interfaces but operate in VLAN 10
DHCP server serves IP addresses from the 192.168.0.0/24 range to devices in VLAN 10
Natsu Dragneel Lv3Posted 28 Aug 2023 11:46

Before implementing any changes in your network configuration, it's always recommended to consult the documentation of your networking equipment and possibly seek the assistance of a network professional to ensure a proper and secure setup.

I Can Help:

Change

Moderator on This Board

Started Topics

Followers

Follow

Started Topics

Followers

Follow

Board Leaders