Snapshot backup

HWSD Lv1Posted 06 Aug 2022 00:28

Hello,
I'm using standard backup on HCI.

I have a primary NAS with HCI sheduled backup policy and secondary NAS, NFS storage, that I use as a sort of offgrid backup.

Periodically I turn on the secondary nas and manually I launch a backup for each VM on the related datastore.
To ensure VM disk consistency I turn off the VM, I execute backup and after I turn on the VM.
During the backup operation is not possible to tur on the VM, so the VM may say off for a long time.

I have another Hypervisor, not SF, for testing purpose. To do the same type of backup I do these steps:

- Turn off VM
- LVM Snaphot on volume with VMs files (that's almost instantaneous)
- Turn on the VM
- Mount in read only the LVM snaphot
- Execute my backup tast
- Unmount and remove LVM snaphot

In this way I can run a long backup task but the VM stay off for a very little more time than a normal reboot.

It will be very nice to have such behavior on HCI.
It could be easy to to:

- Turn off VM
- Take a storage based snapshot from VM details page
- Turn on VM
- Lauch backup task of just taken snaphost
- Remove snaphost when backup task finish

The only feature missing on HCI to do these steps is the possibility to execute a backup of a snapshot.

Feel alike? Bump to help this suggestion accepted by developers.

An accepted suggestion earns you 100 to 1000 coins. For more active members in Suggestions board, a badge Product Consultant may be rewarded. What is Coin?

Enter your mobile phone number and company name for better service. Go

Karla Hong Posted 06 Aug 2022 10:21

Hello HWSD! Thanks for your sharing. We are looking forward to seeing more of your sharing. Coins have been sent to you for your sharing. Please check it in the community system message.
HWSD Lv1Posted 10 Aug 2022 05:38

Thankyou!
Herman Lv1Posted 16 Sep 2022 15:18

Great post!

I'm also using Vinchin Backup & Recovery. It helps make live backup.
Newbie517762 Lv5Posted 19 Sep 2022 09:31

HiHi, Thanks for your sharing!