Reduce VM hard disk size

Cesare Lv1Posted 17 Mar 2022 16:38

Hi there,
I need to reduce the size of the hard disk of a Windows Server VM.
I converted it from a physical server and now I have 600GB of wasted space while it only uses 50GB.
Someone could help me?
Cesare

Jun_Sheng17 has solved this question and earned 10 coins.

Posting a reply earns you 2 coins. An accepted reply earns you 20 coins and another 10 coins for replying within 10 minutes. (Expired) What is Coin?

Enter your mobile phone number and company name for better service. Go

Hi, unfortunately once the vm virtual disk is initialize in HCI, it can't reduce the size of the disk.

Perhaps, you may consider to have a re-migrate of the vm and setting up the vm disk with thin provisioning to ensure there is no wasted of the disk size.
Is this answer helpful?
Jun_Sheng17 Posted 21 Mar 2022 20:42

Hi, unfortunately once the vm virtual disk is initialize in HCI, it can't reduce the size of the disk.

Perhaps, you may consider to have a re-migrate of the vm and setting up the vm disk with thin provisioning to ensure there is no wasted of the disk size.
Cesare Lv1Posted 24 Mar 2022 16:02

Hi Jun,
thank you for your reply.
I checked and the disk is with thin provisioning, but the backup creates a first backup of 600GB and this is a waste of space...
It's strange that there isn't an option to reduce the hard disk while with other solutions is possible.
Cesare
Nicusor Lv1Posted 11 Aug 2023 14:41

I also have the same problem. there is no solution to stop backing up the free space when a full backup is done

I Can Help:

Change

Moderator on This Board

Started Topics

Followers

Follow

Board Leaders