How to run BIOS locked VM in HCI

FabioA Lv1Posted 10 Jul 2024 17:41

Hello, I'm new to HCI and I'm testing some feature before migrating my customers' servers from ESXI to HCI.
I need to import existing VMs, installed in ESXI with BIOS locked HPE image, I can't find any KB that explains how to bring to VM's OS the vendor's name stored in HW's BIOS. In ESXI it's easily solved changing a parameter in advanced VM's configuration. Is there a way to do the same in HCI?
Thanks in advance.
Fabio.

Enrico Vanzetto has solved this question and earned 20 coins.

Posting a reply earns you 2 coins. An accepted reply earns you 20 coins and another 10 coins for replying within 10 minutes. (Expired) What is Coin?

Enter your mobile phone number and company name for better service. Go

HI, you mean that these virtual machines (that their virtual bios settings are protected witn a password) are appliance made from hp? if yes, migrating them to hci will change a lot of virtual hardware (even virtual bios is different). I suggest you to clone one of these virtual machine on your esxi environment and perform some test about removing virtual bios lock before migrating to hci.
Is this answer helpful?
Enrico Vanzetto Lv4Posted 17 Jul 2024 16:13

HI, you mean that these virtual machines (that their virtual bios settings are protected witn a password) are appliance made from hp? if yes, migrating them to hci will change a lot of virtual hardware (even virtual bios is different). I suggest you to clone one of these virtual machine on your esxi environment and perform some test about removing virtual bios lock before migrating to hci.
jerome_itable Lv3Posted 17 Jul 2024 17:18

While it is possible to import VMs from ESXi with BIOS-locked HPE images to Sangfor HCI,

directly modifying VM BIOS settings is generally not recommended on production systems. It can lead to unexpected behavior or instability.

However, there are alternative approaches you can consider to achieve the desired outcome:

Vendor Tools for HPE VMs:

Check if HPE offers any tools or utilities specifically designed to manage BIOS settings within virtualized environments. These tools might allow you to inject or modify the vendor name information without directly accessing the VM BIOS.

Sangfor HCI VM Customization:

Explore Sangfor HCI's VM customization capabilities. Sangfor HCI might offer options to inject custom scripts or configuration files during VM import or provisioning. You might be able to leverage these features to inject the desired vendor name information into the VM's operating system during import.

Operating System Vendor Support:

Consult the documentation or support channels of the operating system installed on the VMs. Some operating systems, like Windows or Linux, might have built-in mechanisms to manage or report system identification information. You might be able to achieve the desired outcome by modifying these OS settings.

Contact Sangfor Support:

Sangfor provides technical support for their products. Reach out to Sangfor support and explain your specific situation. They might have advanced features or workarounds to address your need for injecting vendor information into VMs during import from ESXi with locked BIOS.
Newbie290036 Lv3Posted 17 Jul 2024 20:20

In HCI, you can achieve this by editing the VM's firmware settings. In the HCI console, navigate to "Compute" > "Virtual Machines" > select the VM > "Firmware" tab > "Edit" > "Advanced". In the "Firmware" section, you'll find a field labeled "Vendor" or "BIOS Vendor", where you can enter the desired vendor name stored in the BIOS. Save the changes and restart the VM to apply the updates.
FabioA Lv1Posted 17 Jul 2024 21:08

Thank you Newbie290036,
I'm running HCI 6.10.0 Build20240430 and I can't find "Firmware " tab in path  "Compute" > "Virtual Machines" > select the VM > "Firmware" tab > "Edit" > "Advanced"
Which release are you talking about?
Zonger Lv5Posted 17 Jul 2024 23:16

In a Hyper-Converged Infrastructure (HCI) environment, such as with VMware HCI solutions, importing existing VMs from ESXi where the BIOS vendor information is locked to HPE (Hewlett Packard Enterprise) requires a similar configuration adjustment. Typically, in HCI platforms like VMware vSphere HCI, you can achieve this by modifying the VM's advanced configuration settings. After importing the VM into the HCI environment, navigate to the VM's settings, locate the advanced configuration section, and add or modify the `smbios.reflectHost` parameter. Set its value to `TRUE` to reflect the host's SMBIOS information, including the vendor's name stored in the hardware's BIOS. This adjustment ensures that the VM accurately reflects the hardware vendor information, such as HPE, ensuring compatibility and operational consistency within the HCI environment.
vesogi7900 Lv2Posted 18 Jul 2024 13:52

To import existing VMs from ESXi to HCI and ensure the vendor's name stored in the hardware's BIOS is recognized by the VM's OS, follow these steps:

1. **Export VMs from ESXi:**
   - Use VMware's export feature to create OVF/OVA files for your VMs.

2. **Import VMs into HCI:**
   - Use the import tool provided by your HCI solution to import the OVF/OVA files.

3. **Edit VM Configuration in HCI:**
   - After importing, access the advanced configuration settings of the VM in your HCI management console.
   - Look for options related to virtual hardware configuration or VM BIOS settings.

4. **Set Vendor Information:**
   - Find the setting that allows you to specify or emulate BIOS settings.
   - Enter the required vendor information (similar to how you did it in ESXi).

If your HCI solution doesn't provide a direct way to modify the BIOS settings via the GUI, consult the HCI documentation or support for methods to achieve this through configuration files or scripts.
Farina Ahmed Lv5Posted 18 Jul 2024 17:48

For this, you'll need to modify the virtual machine's configuration in the HCI environment. Unlike ESXi, where you can change an advanced VM parameter, in HCI, this often requires using a combination of tools and scripts provided by the HCI vendor to customize the VM settings. Check the HCI documentation for steps on editing the VM's configuration file or use command-line tools to inject the BIOS vendor information into the VM's metadata.
Tayyab0101 Lv2Posted 18 Jul 2024 18:04

BIOS locked VM might have problem to directly bringing under HCI. try to convert it first and see how it works in ESXi before bringing it under HCI.
Imran Tahir Lv4Posted 19 Jul 2024 19:49

Hello, do you mean that these virtual machines—whose password-protected virtual bios settings—are HP appliances? If so, a lot of virtual hardware will change when they migrate to HCI (even the virtual bios is different). Before going to an HCI, I advise you to clone one of these virtual machines on your ESXI environment and try removing the virtual bios lock.

I Can Help:

Change

Moderator on This Board

Started Topics

Followers

Follow

Started Topics

Followers

Follow

Started Topics

Followers

Follow