Hi,

is there a way to know HCI ip or name from vmtools installed on vms?
I need to know on which host vms are running asking to vmtools.

Many thanks
Oliver

By solving this question, you may help 515 user(s).

Posting a reply earns you 2 coins. An accepted reply earns you 20 coins and another 10 coins for replying within 10 minutes. (Expired) What is Coin?

Enter your mobile phone number and company name for better service. Go

Newbie517762 Lv5Posted 03 Jan 2024 09:34

HiHi,

Please refer to the previous post below for the answer to your question.

Click "Summary" on the virtual machine to access the summary page.
Scroll down to see the vmTools status showing as "Running."
AimanHakim Lv2Posted 03 Jan 2024 11:25

from what I understand, you're trying to figure out how to know which running vm is currently have not installed the vmtools . Usually there's a yellow icon error on the vm. Kindly refer to the attachment if it helps.

VMtools.png (35.87 KB, Downloads: 146)

VMtools.png
Newbie964919 Lv1Posted 03 Jan 2024 14:31

Hi,

thanks but that's not what I mean.

I have "n" linux vms with vmtools installed and 4 cluster HCI (each cluster has 3 nodes).
From linux shell I've to know on which HCI that vm is running on. I've to know if vm "X" is running on cluster 1 or cluster 2... and so on...

Many thanks
Oliver
Adam Suhail Lv1Posted 09 Jan 2024 10:12

vmTools mainly  to collect information from the VM for it resources detail such as the CPU, Memory, Storage, IP Address.
Farina Ahmed Lv5Posted 09 Jan 2024 13:55

VMware Tools primarily offers insights into the interaction between a virtual machine (VM) and its host, providing details about the host server, its version, and certain hardware aspects, but it doesn't inherently provide direct access to Hyper-Converged Infrastructure (HCI) details like IP or hostname. To ascertain HCI-specific information from within a VM, leveraging VMware's vSphere API, PowerCLI, or using network commands within the guest OS might offer clues about the infrastructure. However, direct access to HCI specifics may be limited due to security constraints, and accessing detailed HCI information often requires administrative access to the vSphere environment or HCI management tools like vSphere Client or vCenter Server.
mdamores Lv3Posted 09 Jan 2024 15:38

Upon clicking the "Summary" on the virtual machine, you will be redirected to the summary page.

Scroll down and you will see the status of vmTools is "Running".
Enrico Vanzetto Lv3Posted 09 Jan 2024 15:44

hi,if you have already install the vmtools on a virtual machine, you can check it through summary page on hci web ui.
Donsadam Posted 09 Jan 2024 17:15

Connect to the vCenter Server that manages your VMware environment. vCenter provides a centralized management interface, and you can see details about the host system where a VM is running, including its IP address, name, and more.
RegiBoy Lv5Posted 09 Jan 2024 17:16

VMware PowerCLI is a command-line interface for managing VMware environments. You can use PowerCLI scripts to retrieve information about VMs and their hosts.

I Can Help:

Change

Moderator on This Board

Started Topics

Followers

Follow

Board Leaders