Disable VM HA

Nazhif Lv1Posted 30 Mar 2023 16:38

Last edited by Nazhif 30 Mar 2023 18:18.

i have sql server on aCloud HCI, VM running with HA. The condition now is that I want to first turn off HA in the VM because I want to clone the SQL Server VM.
I want to turn off HA because it requires node 2 for cloning, because the current storage is not sufficient if I want to clone a VM.
will there be a big impact on the SQL Server VM when I turn off HA?

SassyScorpio has solved this question and earned 10 coins.

Posting a reply earns you 2 coins. An accepted reply earns you 20 coins and another 10 coins for replying within 10 minutes. (Expired) What is Coin?

Enter your mobile phone number and company name for better service. Go

Disabling high availability (HA) on your SQL Server VM may have an impact on the availability and reliability of your database. HA is designed to provide automatic failover in the event of a hardware or software failure, which helps ensure that your database remains accessible to users. When HA is disabled, this safety net is no longer in place, and any hardware or software issues may result in downtime for your database.

That being said, if you need to turn off HA in order to clone the VM, it may be necessary to do so. You can minimize the impact on your SQL Server VM by following best practices for shutting down and restarting the VM and SQL Server. For example, you should make sure to gracefully shut down the SQL Server service before shutting down the VM. When you restart the VM, you should also make sure that all necessary services and configurations are restored properly.

Before making any changes, it is recommended to test the process in a non-production environment to ensure that there are no unexpected issues or complications. Additionally, it may be helpful to consult with a database administrator or cloud infrastructure expert to ensure that you are following best practices for your specific environment.
Is this answer helpful?
Faisal Piliang Posted 30 Mar 2023 17:46

Yes, could be. if VM/Application Monitoring was enabled then the VM could be restarted on the same host.
Jhazz Lv3Posted 31 Mar 2023 14:03

Yes there is a impact specially when there is a problem or error encountered during the time it is off
rivsy Lv5Posted 31 Mar 2023 14:47

The downside of turning off the HA is the changed, added data in the main server will not be copy/backup, and I hope there is no problem to the main server in that time. You need to start backup again after the HA is enable
MavicCon Lv2Posted 03 Apr 2023 10:21

The big impact will be if there is a problem on the time or day the HA is disable if there is a critical problem encounter
SherylCor Lv2Posted 03 Apr 2023 10:52

It is not recommended to disable the HA
JLo Lv2Posted 03 Apr 2023 14:00

If you want to clone the VM, you can do it externally
Farina Ahmed Posted 03 Apr 2023 14:10

I would recommend to first take backup before doing any machine closing. If in case anything bad happen you can then rollback to the previous condition. Else take snapshots of VMs.
faysalji Lv3Posted 03 Apr 2023 14:46

Yes, there will be a big impact hence It is not recommended to disable the HA
April Men Lv1Posted 03 Apr 2023 15:40

Yes... big impact in terms of redundancy

I Can Help:

Change

Moderator on This Board

Started Topics

Followers

Follow

Started Topics

Followers