HCI VM Deployed from Template - Edit HDD Size

eddychong Lv1Posted 21 May 2018 15:20

Last edited by eddychong 21 May 2018 17:40.

We are deploying HCI for our customer. We came from a VMware background, for VM template, we are actually expecting the similar behavior when we are deploying VM from a VM template in VMware environment because a template is a pretty standard function.

In VMware, the template is used to deploy the virtual machine faster, avoid the time needed for the same process (ie. install an operating system). The VM deployed from a  template is actually a standalone instance after that. We can freely edit the settings like vcpu, memory, HDD space.

However, in Sangfor HCI, the VM template seems to be a different concept. A VM deployed from a template somewhat is linked to the original template VM, we are able to change the vCPU and memory, add new hardware, but we are not able to edit the HDD space (the example when we want to increase the HDD space on the fly, or during power off state). Also going through the 5.8.3 manual, I saw a few lines mentioned that VM deployed from template do not support CDP.

VM template in Sangfor HCI is more similar to VMware Linked-Clone to me. Since all deployed VM consumes the delta changes only. Big saving to the storage.

If we need to create a standalone VM which allow us to edit the HDD size, then we will not able to use VM template. The requirement to increase an HDD size after some time is actually quite common.

Above screenshot shows that HDD size cannot be changed for VM deployed from Template, not power off, virtual machines converted from Sangfor Converter, etc.. which is very inconvenient.

I hope in future releases, we will be able to change the HDD size deployed from VM, Power on VM, and Converted VM. Or if there is a way to do it in CLI, I would not mind.

Thanks
Eddy

has solved this question and earned 30 coins.

Posting a reply earns you 2 coins. An accepted reply earns you 20 coins and another 10 coins for replying within 10 minutes. (Expired) What is Coin?

Enter your mobile phone number and company name for better service. Go

eddychong Lv1Posted 21 May 2018 22:48

I see. Hopefully, we can see a "conventional" VM Template function in the future releases, something similar to VMware Template.

Regarding the lower performance of the VM which is deployed from a VM Template, does it mentioned in the official guide?

Thanks
Eddy

I Can Help:

Change

Moderator on This Board

Started Topics

Followers

Follow

Board Leaders