HCI - Start operation failed

Cesare Lv1Posted 10 Mar 2024 23:00

Last edited by Cesare 10 Mar 2024 23:04.

Hi there,

after a power problem on both nodes, some VMs of my HCI won't power on, when I click on Power on button it appears this message:

<vm_name> Start operation failed. Image file of virtual disk (1) can not be accessed. Please check storage networking and disk status.

HCI version is 6.9.1, is there anything that I can do or I have to wait a reply from support?

Thanks to everybody that will help me.

Cesare

Siva has solved this question and earned 20 coins.

Posting a reply earns you 2 coins. An accepted reply earns you 20 coins and another 10 coins for replying within 10 minutes. (Expired) What is Coin?

Enter your mobile phone number and company name for better service. Go

This is a brainsplit phenomena which occurred due to sudden power lost on the nodes.
Can be fixed by Sangfor Support team via backend operation.
Is this answer helpful?
AimanHakim Lv2Posted 11 Mar 2024 23:49

Last edited by AimanHakim 11 Mar 2024 23:53.

Hi, have u check the disk status in virtual storage? Here's an example

At the same time, u might want to do a health check. It'll scan the HCI and may show what went wrong
Cesare Lv1Posted 11 Mar 2024 23:55

Hi Aiman,

yes I did and everything was ok.

I had to contact support, it was a consistency file problem they connected with my server and rebuilt the VMs through command line.
Siva Posted 12 Mar 2024 00:51

This is a brainsplit phenomena which occurred due to sudden power lost on the nodes.
Can be fixed by Sangfor Support team via backend operation.
jerome_itable Lv2Posted 12 Mar 2024 13:02

The error message "Start operation failed. Image file of virtual disk (1) cannot be accessed" indicates that the Sangfor HCI is unable to locate the virtual disk file required to power on the affected VMs. This situation likely arises due to the power problem impacting the storage network or the virtual disk itself.

Here are some immediate troubleshooting steps you can attempt before waiting for support:

1. Check SAN Connectivity:

Verify if the storage area network (SAN) is functioning correctly. This involves ensuring proper connectivity between the HCI nodes and the storage devices.
    Use the Sangfor HCI management console to check the health status of the SAN and storage pool.

2. Inspect Virtual Disk Status:

Access the Sangfor HCI management console and navigate to the storage section.
    Locate the specific virtual disk (disk 1) mentioned in the error message and check its status.
    Look for any errors or inconsistencies reported for the virtual disk.

3. Restart Sangfor HCI Services:

In some cases, restarting the Sangfor HCI services can help resolve temporary glitches that might prevent VM startup.
    Refer to the Sangfor HCI documentation (https://www.sangfor.com/downloads/sangfor-hci-user-manual) for the specific procedure to restart the required services.

Important Note:

Data Recovery Procedures: While attempting these initial steps, avoid making any modifications to the virtual disk or storage configuration unless explicitly instructed by Sangfor support. Data recovery procedures might be necessary if the issue persists.
mdamores Lv3Posted 12 Mar 2024 14:26

Hi,

The error message might indicate that the virtual disk associated with the VM you are  trying to power ON is not accessible. This might be due to some reason causing the power problem on your HCI nodes. You may try the below guides for initial troubleshooting:

1. Check Storage health
   - login to your HCI management interface and go to the storage section
   - check if he storage pool containing the VM's virtual disk is online and healthy. If not, you need to resolve that issues first

2. Rescan storage
   - locate options related to storage scanning within the HCI management interface
   - proceed with the rescan of the storage pool where the inaccessible virtual disk resides

3. Check VM configuration
   - go to the VM configuration for the affected VM
   - make sure that the path to the virtual disk is correct and pointing to the correct location

4. Restart Management Services
   - Sometimes restarting the HCI management services might resolve the issue caused by the power problem
   - check the specific documentation for the best practices and recommended procedure to restart the management services

5. If none of the above steps help you resolve the issue, it is best to contact and reach out to Sangfor support for further assistance and immediate resolution of this issue
Enrico Vanzetto Lv3Posted 12 Mar 2024 16:28

Hi, in order to troubleshooting steps for the issue related to the inaccessible virtual disk associated with the VM please follow this steps:

Check Storage Health:
Navigate to the storage section.
Verify if the storage pool containing the VM’s virtual disk is online and healthy. If not, address any issues with the storage pool first.

Rescan Storage:
Look for options related to storage scanning within the HCI management interface.
Initiate a rescan of the storage pool where the inaccessible virtual disk resides.

Verify VM Configuration:
Access the VM configuration for the affected virtual machine.
Ensure that the path to the virtual disk is accurate and correctly points to the intended location.

Restart Management Services:
Sometimes restarting the HCI management services can resolve issues caused by power problems.
Refer to the specific documentation for best practices and the recommended procedure to restart the management services.
Prosi Lv2Posted 12 Mar 2024 16:34

If the VM status is abnormal, or unable to shutdown/power off the VM from VDC, go to VMP console and check the VDI agent on the VM.
Newbie517762 Lv5Posted 12 Mar 2024 17:35

Please await the prompt and reliable assistance of the dedicated Sangfor Support team to address your specific needs regarding intricate backend operations.
Zonger Lv4Posted 12 Mar 2024 18:49

Please contact Sangfor TAC team, they can assist you in sorting out this issue.

I Can Help:

Change

Moderator on This Board

Started Topics

Followers

Follow

Board Leaders