BYPASS on Startup

GiacomoV Lv1Posted 17 Apr 2023 21:45

Hi,
I have a NGAF 5100. I see when I plug in the AC cord the bypass led still on until whole system boots up.
What does it mean?
Can this create a storm broadcast if I aggregate the interface eth2 and eth3 ?

In particular I have to put two NGAF in HA mode. I want to be sure that there aren't issue if one firewall during the boot.
Thanks.

Zonger has solved this question and earned 20 coins.

Posting a reply earns you 2 coins. An accepted reply earns you 20 coins and another 10 coins for replying within 10 minutes. (Expired) What is Coin?

Enter your mobile phone number and company name for better service. Go

The bypass LED on your Sangfor NGAF 5100 staying on until the system boots up is expected behavior. It indicates that the device is in bypass mode, meaning that the network traffic is allowed to pass through the device without being inspected by the NGAF's security functions. This is done to ensure that network connectivity is maintained even in the event of a power failure or other hardware failure on the NGAF.

Once the system is fully booted up and the bypass LED turns off, the NGAF will resume normal operation and begin inspecting network traffic for security threats.

Regarding your question about aggregating interfaces eth2 and eth3, the bypass mode should not affect this configuration. Aggregating the two interfaces should not create a broadcast storm, as long as the aggregation is configured properly and the network devices connected to the aggregated interface are also properly configured.

When setting up the two NGAFs in HA mode, it's important to ensure that both devices are fully operational before enabling HA mode. This will help to avoid any potential issues during the boot process, as well as ensure that the two devices are properly synchronized for HA failover.
Is this answer helpful?
Faisal Piliang Posted 19 Apr 2023 23:58

Hi,
When the device is starting, the ALARM indicator is lighted (in red) due to system loading and then goes out after one or two minutes, indicating successful startup of the device.
After startup, the ALARM indicator may flash, which means device is writing logs.
However, if the ALARM indicator stays lighted for a long time and does not go out, please shutdown the device and restart after 5 minutes.
Pat Lv4Posted 24 Apr 2023 11:44

The bypass LED on your NGAF 5100 staying on until the whole system boots up is likely an indication that the device is going through a power-on self-test (POST) process. During this process, the device is checking all its components to make sure they are working correctly before fully booting up. Once the POST process is complete, the device will boot up and the bypass LED should turn off.

Regarding your question about aggregating the interface eth2 and eth3, it is unlikely that doing so would create a storm broadcast. Link aggregation, also known as NIC teaming, allows you to combine multiple network interfaces into a single logical interface. This can improve network performance and provide redundancy in case one interface fails. However, it is important to configure link aggregation properly to avoid network issues such as broadcast storms. If you are unsure about how to configure link aggregation on your  NGAF 5100, you should consult the device's documentation or seek the assistance of a qualified network administrator.
RegiBoy Lv5Posted 24 Apr 2023 12:02

The NGAF 5100 is a network appliance, and the bypass LED indicates whether the system is currently in bypass mode or not. Bypass mode is a state in which the system allows network traffic to flow through even if there is an issue with the system itself, such as a hardware failure or a software crash.

It's normal for the bypass LED to remain on when you first plug in the AC cord, as the system is not yet fully powered on and may still be performing self-tests and initializing components. Once the system has completed its boot process and is ready to begin processing network traffic, the bypass LED should turn off.

If the bypass LED remains on even after the system has fully booted up, it could indicate a problem with the NGAF 5100. In that case, you may need to consult the user manual or contact the manufacturer for further assistance in troubleshooting the issue.
MISMIS Lv3Posted 24 Apr 2023 12:11

It is normal
Naomi Lv3Posted 24 Apr 2023 12:59

Bypass mode is a state in which the system allows network traffic to flow through even if there is an issue with the system itself, such as a hardware failure or a software crash.
Adonis001 Lv3Posted 24 Apr 2023 13:02

Maybe it is in POST mode.
flirene_94 Lv1Posted 24 Apr 2023 13:07

The bypass LED on your Sangfor NGAF 5100 staying on until the whole system boots up is normal behavior. This indicates that the device is in bypass mode during the boot process, and will switch to normal operating mode once the boot process is complete.
isabelita Lv3Posted 24 Apr 2023 13:11

Bypass Led means bypass mode is enabled
BitCloud Lv3Posted 24 Apr 2023 13:17

The bypass LED on your Sangfor NGAF 5100 should remain on until the entire system powers up. This signifies that the device is in bypass mode during the boot process and will return to regular operation once the boot procedure is over.

I Can Help:

Change

Moderator on This Board

Started Topics

Followers

Follow

Started Topics

Followers

Follow

Board Leaders