Enrico Vanzetto Lv3Posted 29 Apr 2024 20:20

Hi, when dealing with dynamic IP addresses, you can configure a DNAT (Destination Network Address Translation) rule to point to a DDNS (Dynamic Domain Name System) hostname. This ensures that your network services remain accessible even if your public IP address fluctuates.
Here’s how to achieve this:

1) Create a DNS Alias:

Suppose your DDNS hostname is my-ddns-hostname.example.com.
Create a DNS alias (CNAME record) for it, such as my-public-ip.
Contact your DNS provider to set up this alias.

2) Update the DNAT Rule:
Modify your existing DNAT rule to use the DNS alias as the destination.
For example, consider the following DNAT rule:
nat destination {
    from any to any
    rule my-ddns-rule {
        destination-address "my-public-ip"
        destination-port 80
        to-address 192.168.1.100
        to-port 80
        protocol tcp
    }
}

Now, instead of specifying a specific public IP address, use the DNS alias (my-public-ip) in the destination-address field.

3) Automatic Updates:
When your public IP address changes, your DNS provider will automatically update the DNS alias (my-public-ip) to point to the new IP address.
No manual intervention is required for updating the DNAT rule.
Note: Some DNS providers may charge a fee for creating DNS aliases.

Alternatively, you can explore another approach using a reverse proxy server. This server sits in front of your web server and forwards traffic to it. By configuring the reverse proxy server to use your DDNS hostname as its public IP address, you can achieve similar results.

The choice between these workarounds depends on your specific requirements. If you’re hosting a single website, the DNS alias method may be simpler. However, for more complex scenarios or multiple websites, a reverse proxy server could be a better fit.

I Can Help:

Change

Moderator on This Board

Started Topics

Followers

Follow

Started Topics

Followers

Follow

Started Topics

Followers

Follow