Backup to NFS - Data Store full of junk nfs files

epsoft Lv1Posted 18 Jan 2023 01:29

I have several HCI installations on various environments.
In almost all of them I noted that sometimes happens that the NFS DataStore used for backup target will be filled up wit junk files named .nfsXXXXXXXXXX when the backup process does not complete successfully.
When I launch the Junk Scan on archive it does not find anything, but if you browse datastore you can find a lot of that files, they'll grow up unlimited and can fill up datastore up to 100%
Maybe these files are partial data storage of the backup process that, if not concluded successfully, will remain pending and occupy waste space on storage.
I suggest that the Junk File scan will search and find these files also, to cleanup and regain spaces

Feel alike? Bump to help this suggestion accepted by developers.

An accepted suggestion earns you 100 to 1000 coins. For more active members in Suggestions board, a badge Product Consultant may be rewarded. What is Coin?

Enter your mobile phone number and company name for better service. Go

rivsy Lv5Posted 18 Jan 2023 09:53

Sometime junk files or temporary files use to execute some of computing tasks that is why some files of it cannot be cleanup or delete
epsoft Lv1Posted 18 Jan 2023 15:29

Aware of that, but in the example in attachment there's a 1.8Tb temporary file more than a year old.
Moreover, the datastore is used only for backup and in certain cases you can find that more than 50% of the spaces is wasted in these files

Junk nfs example.png (31.54 KB, Downloads: 363)

Junk nfs example.png
Jhazz Lv3Posted 20 Jan 2023 09:21

You can manually deleted or edit the junk files but it can help your computer run more smoothly when you use programs or perform tasks that are related to them.
Faisal P Posted 20 Jan 2023 09:46

# cat /dev/null > /file/to/delete
# rm /file/to/delete
RegiBoy Lv5Posted 20 Jan 2023 11:11

You must manually delete the files.